The LORD has a unique presence
- 1 The LORD is king.
So let’s all celebrate.
May islands erupt in joy.
- 2 Clouds dense and dark gather around him
As he sits on the throne of goodness and justice.
- 3 Fire scorches a path in front of him,
Burning his enemies to ash.
- 4 He unleashes his lightning,
Which lights up the earth.
People watch it
And tremble with fear.
- 5 In the presence of the LORD
Mountains melt like hot wax,
In the presence of the LORD of the earth.
- 6 Heaven declares he’s good.
People of earth have seen the proof
Of the honor he deserves.
- 7 Braggers who worship wood-carved idols
Stand dumbfounded, distressed, and ashamed.
Gods of wood, take a knee and worship him.
- 8 Jerusalem1 hears the news and celebrates.
The whole region of Judah joins in.
Everyone’s happy because the LORD
Will finally bring justice to earth.
- 9 You are the LORD who runs this world,
There’s no king above you.
You get the honor no fake god deserves.
Follow the light
- 10 If you love the LORD, hate evil.
The LORD watches his people as they live their lives.
He protects them from rotten souls who would hurt them.
- 11 Like seed thrown in a spray on a field
Light is sown on the path of good souls.
To brighten the way as they go.
- 12 Good people, be happy about the LORD.
And thank him for who he is.
Literally “Zion,” a term of endearment, and another name for Jerusalem. It’s a bit like “The Big Apple” for New York City, “The City of Love” for Paris, and “Sin City” for Las Vegas, though some wouldn’t call that a term of endearment.