- Road trip song1
Where would we be without God?
- 1 “Where would we be
If it weren’t for the LORD?”
That should be Israel’s question.
- 2 If it weren’t for the LORD,
Who is on our side,
What would have happened
When our enemies came to get us?
- 3 Invaders would have swallowed us whole,
In a barbecued feast of flaming rage.
- 4 They would have rushed in
like a flash flood in spring
And carried us away in the torrents.
- 5 Churning waters would have buried us
Beneath the roiling sea.
- 6 Thanks to the LORD
For not serving us up
To be torn apart by those teeth.
- 7 We escaped like birds caught in a net
With a hole made for escape.
- 8 Our help comes from the LORD,
Who created heaven and earth.
The subtitle wasn’t part of the original psalm. Psalms 120-134 are called songs of ascent, possibly because Jewish pilgrims sang these songs while traveling up into the Judean hills to celebrate a Jewish holiday in Jerusalem.