- Road trip song1
We’re going to Jerusalem
- 1 I shouted for joy when they said,
“We’re going the LORD’s Temple in Jerusalem.”
- 2 We’re standing now inside the city,
Within Jerusalem’s gates
- 3 Jerusalem is well-built, strong,
And tightly packed.
- 4 Tribes of the LORD
Make the climb up this hill,
By law, to give thanks to the LORD.
- 5 Kings passed judgment
Seated on thrones in this city,
Thrones of the dynasty of David.
- 6 Pray for Jerusalem’s peace.
“May people who love you
Find success in life.”
- 7 May they find peace inside the city walls
And security provided by the guard towers.
- 8 For the sake of my family and friends there,
I say, “Peace to you.”
- 9 For the sake of the Jerusalem Temple,
Which is the house of the LORD our God,
I want nothing but good for Jerusalem.
The subtitle wasn’t part of the original psalm. Psalms 120-134 are called songs of ascent, possibly because Jewish pilgrims sang these songs while traveling up into the Judean hills to celebrate a Jewish holiday in Jerusalem.