Wisdom is more valuable than gold
- 8:1 Can you hear Wisdom calling?
Can you hear Understanding raising her voice?
- 8:2 On ridgetops above the paths,
At crossroads along the way,
- 8:3 At entrance gates into the city,
By doorways of the homes, she cries out,
- 8:4 “Hey everyone, heads up.
I have something to tell you.
- 8:5 You naïve people need to develop good judgment,
And you foolish people need some wisdom.
- 8:6 Listen up, because this advice is fit for royalty.
What I’m about to say is absolutely accurate.
- 8:7 I’ll tell you the honest truth.
I detest deception. I won’t lie to you.
- 8:8 Everything I’ll say is good and godly.
I’m not going to twist the truth into something crooked.
- 8:9 I’m talking straight, as folks with insight will recognize.
I’m right on target, as people who know a little something will understand.
- 8:10 Take what I can teach you. It’s worth more than silver.
Learn the knowledge I’ll pass along. It’s better than the purest gold.
- 8:11 A head full of wisdom is better than a bag full of jewels.
Nothing you could possibly want compares to Lady Wisdom.
Words of Lady Wisdom
- 8:12 I’m Wisdom. Meet my partner, Good Judgment.
I also know where to find knowledge and how to make practical decisions.
- 8:13 If you respect the LORD, you’ll hate anything evil.
I’ll tell you what I hate: pride, acting like the devil,
And lying through your teeth.
- 8:14 I’m loaded with good advice, and I’m resourceful, too.
I understand how things work, and I’m strong, as well.
- 8:15 I’m the reason kings reign,
And rulers want justice, and show it in their laws,
- 8:16 I’m the reason princes govern,
And leading citizens display good judgment.
- 8:17 I love everyone who loves me.
Anyone who hunts for me will find me.
- 8:18 I’m in good company, with wealth and honor.
I’m talking about the kind of wealth that lasts, along with goodness.
- 8:19 What I have to offer is better than gold—the purest gold.
It’s better than the highest grade of silver.
- 8:20 I live a good and godly life,
And justice is my goal.
- 8:21 I give a wealth of wisdom to people who love me.
I fill them with treasure.
In the beginning, I was here
- 8:22 I was with the LORD in the beginning,
Before he created anything.
- 8:23 I’ve been here since the beginning,
From the earliest days of earth.
- 8:24 Before oceans deep, I was here.
Before springs abundant, I was here.
- 8:25 Before mountains grew, I was here.
Before hills took shape, I was here.
- 8:26 I was here before he made the earth and its fields,
And before he made the first handful of dust.
- 8:27 When he hung the sky, I was here.
When he set the horizon as a boundary between sky and sea, I was here.
- 8:28 I was here when he set the clouds afloat,
When the underground springs burst free,
- 8:29 When he set the seashore at the water’s edge,
When he built the earth’s foundation.
- 8:30 I was with him, an associate working beside him.
I kept praising his work every day, and he loved it.
- 8:31 I was genuinely happy with the world he created,
And delighted to see the people who came along.
Obey me and you’ll be happy
- 8:32 Now listen, children,
Because those who do what I say are going to be glad they did.
- 8:33 Be smart and obey me.
Don’t ignore what I’m telling you.
- 8:34 You’re going to be happy if you listen to me.
Keep your eyes open for me, and wait till I get there.
- 8:35 When you find me, you find life,
And the LORD is happy with you.
- 8:36 Those who do me wrong hurt themselves.
Those who hate me love death.”